Saturday, January 29, 2005

Linux: To Make the Switch or Not?

Today I did something that I've wanted to do for a very long time.

I met this guy that is like a computer god. He makes me look like a complete novice(and if you were to ask any of my friends, that's saying a lot). We got to talking about tech/computer stuff like any good computer nerds do, and I asked him about Linux.

Linux
,
to those of you that don't know, is a different operating system and to those of you that don't know what an operating system is (I'm talking to you, Peggy) it's what makes your computer do what your computer does, i.e. Windows. There are a lot of benefits to Linux, supposedly it's very tight with security so the chances of getting hacked or getting viruses is very limited or none existent, there's a ton of support available(Linux users are all about sharing information) and the biggest advantage: it's almost completely open source, meaning it's all free. Anything you can think of is available for no cost.

There's only one real reason not to switch: compatibility. We live in a Windows' World and everything is built to run on it. While Linux has just about evrything you can think of, it doesn't have everything, and thats a problem. Just ask Mac users what a pain it is.

So anyway, this guy gave me a boot disk called Knoppix STD. It's a bootable version of Linux, that doesn't screw around with your Windows settings. So, for the first time ever, I booted up Linux today. It's pretty cool. I still don't know if I would switch completely, but I'm not afraid of it anymore and that was a pretty big part of why I didn't want to switch.

So now I'm going to go back and screw around with it somemore. If you aren't scared, give it a try.

'slater,

Luthor...werd

PS: Comics were good, I'll get around to talking about them later.

No comments: