Wednesday, February 22, 2006

I Want A Dog...

For the last few months my Mom has been telling me she wanted a dog, and I've listed off the hundred and three reasons why we shouldn't get one.

See growing up, I always had some kind of animal around and almost always they came to tragic endings...

While I was growing up, there was Rusty. Rusty was a cat, that thought he was a person and acted like a lion. Rusty was born a few days before I was and we grew up together. Rusty was the closest thing I ever had to a Lassie. I have memories of Rusty following me to school and waiting for me when I got out. I have one very strong memory of Rusty coming to my rescue while I was being chased by two dogs. He was an awesome animal. Rusty stories always come up whenever my family gets together, simply because he was such a character. Rusty was poisoned on a Christmas Eve when I was 12 years old and literally died in my arms on the way to the Vets.

In my early teens, My Mom got on a small dog kick and decided she wanted two small dogs. We got Griffen(My dog, Male Maltese) and Mitsu(her dog, Female Shih Tzu). Since she was fairly new to the idea of purebred dogs, my Mom looked in the paper for the cheapest little dogs she could find. We got them and they were great little dogs, but they kept having health problems. Mitsu didn't have a tail, Griffen eyes would run until his face was completely stained, both of them had problems with teeth, etc etc. We took them in one day for a routine check up and the Vet said two words that I'll never forget. "Puppy Mill." Within two years, both of them died. Mitsu started getting tumors on her back and after having several surgeries, didn't make it through. Griffen was healthier, but still had constant problems. They discovered a tumor on his hind leg, and died on the operating table.

Then there was Dede. Dede was a champion show Shih Tzu. She started to develop eye ulcers because of the stress involved in showing and her breeder(Donna) decided that she needed a new home. My Mom worked with this women and had told her the story of Mitsu and Griffen. Donna told my Mom that we could come out to her place and meet the dog, and if she approved we could adopt. The story goes that as soon as Donna saw me, she decided that she wasn't going to give any dogs to me. I was a big scary looking guy and there was just no way in hell that she was going to allow one of her babies to leave with me. I remember walking in and sitting down and this little tiny black ball of fur just sitting at my feet. I leaned over to pet her, she got up on her hind legs and licked my nose. I picked her up and it was love from then on. Donna saw that and quickly changed her mind and decided to drop the usual fees associated with adopting one of her animals. I loved Dede more then I have any animal, ever, in my life. She was my dog from the moment we met. Dede was my best friend during my toughest years. She was never far from my side. We had Dede for almost 10 years(she was 4 when we got her) and she never had any health issues until her last year. She was starting to go blind and slowed down a lot in her last year. The Vet said she was healthy enough for an old dog but with her losing her sight we needed to be extra cautious. I had gone away for the weekend and I returned home to find out that she had fallen down a flight of stairs and didn't survive the fall. She was my dog and I never even got the chance to say good-bye. I still miss her to this day.

The loss of Dede was the main reason I didn't want another dog. I don't think there has been another loss in my life that was as hard to take as losing Dede and I didn't ever want to have to go through a loss like that again.

Then a few weeks ago, Steph and I stayed out at her friends place. The place was a veritable zoo. There was 2 cats, 2 rats and...3 dogs.

While we were there, I kind of remembered why I loved dogs so much and how much fun they are to have around.

I miss playing.

I miss the mischievousness.

I miss coming home to that little furball so happy to see me she doesn't know what to do with herself.

I miss the companionship.

I want a dog.

So I gave up my battle and decided that I would say sure to my Mom's requests. So I told my Mom this...and she says she doesn't want a dog.

This is where I discovered I can be a bit obsessive compulsive. Right after I had that conversation with my Mom I started looking on the 'net for dogs. I found a group that I loved. Click HERE to see them. I should my Mom that picture and she's decided she wants a dog again too! I emailed the Home Fur-Ever about getting one of them and they basically told me that I'm out of luck. That I could apply for one of them, but they don't adopt out of state as a rule(I'm gonna have a bigger blog about pet adoption).

So here I've been since, looking for that little dog, close to home that wants to become part of my life. I can't wait.

'slater,

Luthor...werd

PS: If you live close to Windsor, Ontario and know of anyone that breeds or has a litter of Shih Tzu/Chahauhau pups, please let me know. I would be VERY interested!

No comments: